Saturday, June 7, 2008

Kim Vermillion in New Orleans

First night:

New city. New house. I met my new roommate as she was leaving for the weekend - fine by me as I love being alone and the shotgun style house does not afford much privacy.



My room is bare except for some cobwebs and a rickety bed - a slight upgrade from a cot. Empty is good for me right now.

Since I hadn't eaten a real meal in two days I went to Yuki's for some delicious food. Yuki is very sweet and brought us a free bowl of baby octopus salad. Since I don't eat cephalopods for that can be best explained as "sentimental" reasons, I just fondled the perfectly formed creatures (they weren't cut up into pieces - just whole tiny octopuses in a bowl.)

After a nap I had a hard time waking up but did make it out to Mimi's to watch Clint Maedgen of The New Orleans Bingo Show play a set of improvised music and songs with a cellist and violin player.

My friend Starnes (he's the secret mayor of New Orleans and he has an international award winning moustache) and I sat at a table filled with pretty ladies from Fleur de Tease Burlesque.

All the pretty ladies loved my head dress and if Julian wants to set up shop in New Orleans I can send him his first customers.



One of the pretty ladies asked where I was from and what I was doing - here is an accurate representation of a memory mangled version of our conversation:

Kim: I live in Oakland, I'm just in New Orleans for the month of June.

Pretty Lady: It's funny that you came here for one of the hottest months.

Kim: I do everything backwards.

Pretty Lady: That's a good policy.... New orleans is a great place.

Kim: I love it.

(Then the pretty lady looked at me for a moment.)

Pretty Lady: You're never going to leave.


*

This morning it is HOT. My friend Kate once said that being in New Orleans was like being inside someone else's skin and that is the best description I can think of.

Like a sauna, inside someone's mouth. But not gross.

*

Ew.

*

And here are some pictures from the train journey.....


In LA with beautiful Julian. (Julian made me the choker which I turned into a head dress in new Orleans.)



In the observation car:








Crossing the Rio Grande:



Crossing the Mississippi:



New Orleans in the distance:




*

P.S. I love Scream Club myspace.com/screamclub

1 comment:

New Orleans Ladder said...

I agree wit'da Pretty Lady. You're never going to leave.
I hung you onto today's Ladder.
Thanks,
Bruce
Editilla~New Orleans News Ladder
http://noladder.blogspot.com/